With shorter days and cold, wet weather, here are five simple things you can do to keep active and healthy at home when it’s “too cold to go out”:
- Drink up. It’s just as important to stay hydrated in winter as it is in summer, even though you might not feel as thirsty.
- Eat plenty of immune boosting fruits and vegetables. Citrus, leafy greens, pineapple, carrots, papaya, brassicas, berries, ginger, turmeric, mushrooms and garlic are the best.
- Maintain your sleeping habits. Falling asleep on the couch on a cold Saturday afternoon might seem like a good idea, but it’s important to keep energised with your regular sleep routine.
- Climb stairs. Either at home or at work, just five minutes at a time climbing up and down the stairs is an intense and efficient workout.
- Dance. Put on your favourites tune, crank up the volume, and dance as though no-one is watching. It’s exercise AND it’s fun!